What is the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship?
With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into Japan and deepening understanding of Japan, the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship invites leading international researchers of the Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature and Japanese culture to Japan to conduct residential research.
- Japanese language
- Japanese language education
- Japanese literature
- Japanese culture
Researchers working in the fields of Japanese language,Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture who reside outside Japan and meet all of the criteria below.
- Affiliated with a higher education or research institution (including postdoctoral scolars' adjunct in Japanese and part-time lecturers).
- Scholar or researcher with a doctoral degree (including degrees due to be granted on or before December 31, 2017) and an extensive research or education background.
- Sufficient Japanese language proficiency to be able to conduct research in Japanese.
- Non-Japanese national residing outside of Japan or Japanese national who has resided outside Japan for 10 years or more and been active in the academic community ,etc. of the country of their residence.
- Able to stay continuously in Japan for the duration of the Fellowship period and participate in research reporting sessions arranged by the Foundation.
Applications are not sought from those whose purpose is to write a doctoral thesis.
As research reporting and communications with the Fellowship secretariat on various procedures will be conducted in Japanese only, a suitable level of Japanese language ability is required.
Those who have previously received support for residential research in Japan may also apply.
- Invited fellows will have their airfares, living and research expenses, housing and other expenses necessary for conducting research in Japan covered.
- Long-term (12-month) and short-term (6-month) fellowships are available.
- Around 15 fellows will be invited each year.
Invited fellows will conduct their research with the cooperation of one of the following receiving organizations:
- International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- The Japan Foundation Japanese-Language Institute,Urawa
- Kyoto University
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics
- Ochanomizu University
- Ritsumeikan University
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- Waseda University
|Masahiro Ijima||Professor, The University of Tokyo|
|Masaru Inoue (Chair)||Professor, Reitaku University|
|Kaoru Koyanagi||Professor, Sophia University|
|Yukari Tanaka||Professor, Nihon University|
|Reiko Yamanaka||Director, Professor, Noh Theatre Research Institute, Hosei University|
- Obtain Application Guide, Application Form and Letter of Recommendation. (Downloadable below)
- Fill in the Application Form
- Have the person recommending you for the Fellowship fill in the Letter of Recommendation
- Prepare Japanese translation of the Letter of Recommendation (if written in a language other than Japanese)
- Send the above documents to the designated address by mail
* Refer to the Application Guide for full details
* Documents for the 14th Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship (2019)
* Registration deadline: Must arrive by Oct 31, 2018 (Only mailed applications will be considered)
|Letter of Recommendation||(153KB)||(23KB)|
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship Newsletter
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship queries
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship Secretariat
Tel: +81 3 6435 8140
Fax: +81 3 6435 8790