- 2017/10/31Applications for the 13th Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship have now closed
What is the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship?
With the goals of further strengthening the fundamentals of international research into Japan and
deepening understanding of Japan, the Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship invites leading international researchers of the Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature and Japanese culture to Japan to conduct residential research.
- Japanese language
- Japanese language education
- Japanese literature
- Japanese culture
International researchers working in the fields of Japanese language, Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture.
University professors, associate professors and assistant professors who have outstanding research results that have future potential, and other persons with equivalent research backgrounds, are eligible to apply.
Researchers working in the fields of Japanese language,Japanese language education, Japanese literature or Japanese culture who reside outside Japan and meet all of the criteria below.
- Affiliated with a higher education or research institution (including postdoctoral scolars' adjunct in Japanese and part-time lecturers).
- Scholar or researcher with a doctoral degree (including degrees due to be granted on or before December 31, 2017) and an extensive research or education background.
- Sufficient Japanese language proficiency to be able to conduct research in Japanese.
- Non-Japanese national residing outside of Japan or Japanese national who has resided outside Japan for 10 years or more and been active in the academic community of the country of their residence.
- Able to stay continuously in Japan for the duration of the Fellowship period and participate in research reporting sessions arranged by the Foundation.
Applications are not sought from those whose purpose is to write a doctoral thesis.
Applicants who are yet to receive their doctoral degree must submit written confirmation from their supervisor that the degree is expected to be granted by no later than December 31, 2017.
As research reporting and communications with the Fellowship secretariat on various procedures will be conducted in Japanese only, a suitable level of Japanese language ability is required.
Those who have previously received support for residential research in Japan may also apply.
- Invited fellows will have their airfares, living and research expenses, housing and other expenses necessary for conducting research in Japan covered.
- Long-term (12-month) and short-term (6-month) fellowships are available.
- Around 15 fellows will be invited each year.
Invited fellows will conduct their research with the cooperation of one of the following receiving organizations:
- International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- The Japan Foundation Japanese-Language Institute,Urawa
- Kyoto University
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics
- Ochanomizu University
- Ritsumeikan University
- Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- Waseda University
||Professor, The University of Tokyo
|Masaru Inoue (Chair)
||Professor, Reitaku University
||Professor, Sophia University
||Professor, Nihon University
||Director, Professor, Noh Theatre Research Institute, Hosei University
Obtain Application Guide, Application Form and Letter of Recommendation. (Downloadable below)
Fill in the Application Form
Have the person recommending you for the Fellowship fill in the Letter of Recommendation
Prepare Japanese translation of the Letter of Recommendation (if written in a language other than Japanese)
Send the above documents to the designated address by mail
* Refer to the Application Guide for full details
* Documents for the 13th Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship (2018)
* Registration deadline: Must arrive by Oct 31, 2017 (Only mailed applications will be considered)
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship Newsletter
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship queries
Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship Secretariat
Tel: +81 3 6435 8140 Fax: +81 3 6435 8790
Note: The Hakuho Foundation Japanese Research Fellowship was previously known as the Hakuho Japanese Language Research Fellowship Program.